Friday, March 5, 2010

I'm Back!

I am a genius! The virus is no more. Marisa: 1 Computer: 0

Last weekend's sightseeing was spectacular. On Saturday I took Courtney to Real Alcazar because she hadn't been there yet. I also got to explore a lot more because the first time that I went it was before a class so I didn't have much time to see everything. Everything was so beautiful and the gardens went on for what seemed like forever. I can't wait to go back in the Spring and see everything in bloom. And yes, it is still "winter" here. These people have no idea what it's like to be cold.



After Real Alcazar we went into Archivo General de Indias, The General Archive of the Indies. This building holds over 500 years of historical documents. They had an exhibit on the history of pirating and we saw documents from Christopher Columbus, Ferdinand Magellan, and many more. It was pretty cool, but everything was in Spanish and hard to read.
On Sunday we spent our day at la Catedral. We spent HOURS in there and still didn't see everything. It was gorgeous.


The outside of La Catedral


Standing in front of Christopher Columbus' tomb. The person that took this clearly had no idea what they were doing.

There are plenty more. I took about 200 pictures and for some reason I can't upload the few that I want to upload right now. We climbed La Giralda which is the tower of la Catedral. It's 34 levels of ramps (it was built so people could ride horses to the top) and the view is stunning.


..Did I mention that it started to rain as soon as we got to the top? Imagine sunshine and blue skies please.


Monday we didn't have class because it was Dia de Andalucia. Courtney took me to Plaza de Espana and Parque de Maria Luisa.






We also explored el Barrio de Santa Cruz, which is supposedly the rich neighborhood of Sevilla.

It was back to reality on Tuesday. But reality is still Spain for the next two months or so. The weather here has been rainy still. It is very unusual for it to rain this much and the coast is flooded. Between the crazy weather, the earthquakes in Haiti, Chili, and Taiwan, I am convinced the world is ending. There was a very scary video on the news yesterday of waves crashing through the windows of a cruise ship.





To everyone going on spring break this week, be safe and have fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment